Old 03-11-2015, 05:11 PM   #1
bulldog95

bulldog95 is on a distinguished road
Default Diesel truck help

I am looking to get into the diesel world and was looking at trucks between 2003-2011 and was wondering ones that are reliable and ones to stay away from. I am looking at all brands and I am not biased in any way. Just looking for some advice.
bulldog95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 10:13 PM   #2
dietz4ibanez

dietz4ibanez is on a distinguished road

I am assuming you are looking to snag a used truck as the new ones are like a second mortgage... If that is the case, what is your budget and I ask this to see what kind of mileage you would be looking at on a used vehicle?

I think I could better answer your questing just a little more information.

Just for example,

When I search for trucks like Chevy/GMC, I mainly look at 2007-2010 2500 or 3500HD. Reason for this being, these trucks are prior to the Urea burning whale piss exhaust additive. I had a 2007 LMM and I liked the power it produced compared to the older trucks, the chassis was stronger and the tranny was stronger then previous years. That being said, the 2011 with all that urea had a even stronger frame and I'd say would be the stronger frame/suspension of the 3 trucks in my opinion. The Transmission is yet a little stronger and if you are willing to go all the way with deleting the emissions it can be a fricken awesome.

As I read and learn more, I would gladly take a LBZ Duramax as it is virtually a de-tuned version of the LMM without the DPF.

The more I read and people say, stay away from a LLY I finally did a little research on it and if I found a good deal, I wouldn't stop from snatching it up! They are known for having head gasket issues but not on all of them! If you find a truck with 100k+ miles it is pretty safe to say that you might not have any issue with the head gaskets! It will be a reliable truck for thousand of thousands of miles. Even if you considered the cost of a head gasket versus a LB7 that might have injector problems. Both jobs are very labor intensive BUT! The injectors/glow plus are a million times easier to get to on the LLY VS LB7.

LBZ can be easily made into a 550hp work,DD or just hauling machine with a transmission upgrade.
One other thing, if you look for a truck that has the LGH, don't get it. It was more of a fleet engine, while it is very reliable it's basically a de-tuned LML and I'd rather not get a truck that offers the lesser of the 2 in HP!

Most people will say that a IFS setup on GM truck is the biggest downfall but t-rod sleeves only costing 200-300 max can make a nicer riding truck even more reliable! I've had my 07 for 70k miles and other trucks for 200k and one I still have with almost 400k. I've never had to replace a t-rod!

IF either of the 2 trucks were not available I would much rather get a 2012 or newer Cummins. They really beefed up the factory performance as in comparison, I've always felt like the factory performance of the Cummins was lacking but definitely up-gradable. Right now, the newest model Cummins and Ford offer the beefiest of factory performance engines right now. I think that will change in 2016 with a bigger Duramax.

Anyways, IF for whatever reason I was looking to buy an older truck with a cummins it would have to be a truck that came from the factory as a Cab and Chassis truck. The reason being, when they did not know the possible bed choice of buyer after purchase(utility,service bed, roll back, ect.) They equipped these trucks with a stronger transmission. I do believe it was a Mercedes produced transmission.

I have found that you can experience blown head gaskets, transmission seal problems, transmission and weak axles from Dodge so these are good things to look into as far as maintenance records.

If I was looking to get into a Ford, I would love to have a SuperDuty with the 7.3(wouldn't we all) ha ha! I let one of these slide by me as it was in a f450. Looking back, it was the perfect truck for my business, I just needed to look past the fact that the impractical dump bed that was on it could have been sold and replaced with something better.

On another note, I would drive the piss out of the new 6.7 but who has that kind of cash lying around??? lol I will say, that the transmission in the 6.4 and the 6.7 will hold it's own to some horse power and if it's not better it's pretty close to being the best of the 3 transmissions in the Ford, Dodge and Chevy.

I could draft a list of a million scenarios of which truck to buy over the other but what it really boils down to what you are looking for in a truck. As you look at trucks, look for things you like/dislike. And then when you know what you want from either of the trucks it comes down to bargaining and getting what you think is the best deal for you and your needs.
dietz4ibanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 05:49 AM   #3
bulldog95

bulldog95 is on a distinguished road

I was looking to spend maybe 30 thousand and the lower the mileage the better, but not looking to go over 150,000 miles is the max. I am looking at using the truck to pull camper in future, but not sure on travel trailer or 5th wheel. Also looking at crew cab trucks.

Last edited by bulldog95; 03-12-2015 at 05:56 AM.
bulldog95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 01:08 PM   #4
dietz4ibanez

dietz4ibanez is on a distinguished road

You should definitely be able to find a nice truck with less than 100k on it for 30k or less. It really depends on the area you live in.

Buddy of mine had issues with his 08 CC F250 4x4 with the 6.4 so he sold it and just bought a 2010, basically same truck with 99k on it. I think he overpaid but it was loaded to the hilt for 36k...

I recently did some searching on the cheapest cities to buy used cars and Miami, FL was #1 on the list. I can get free buddy passes and fly on standby... I have been searching there and it looks like you could easily buy and get a good deal if you know what you are looking at! I saw a Chevy truck that would easily sell for 25-28 here and they were asking 22k for it.
dietz4ibanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:51 AM   #5
Leitz

Leitz is on a distinguished road

Can someone recommend a decent diesel truck that's currently a good buy btw?
Leitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 08:35 AM   #6
Rogger

Rogger is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Leitz View Post
Can someone recommend a decent diesel truck that's currently a good buy btw?
Have a look at this- https://www.carsforsale.com/used-die...r-sale-P100004