Go Back   Heavy Duty & Diesel Truck Forum > >

The Lounge The offtopic section.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:34 PM   #21
Agjake11

Agjake11 is on a distinguished road

yea its alot quiter at idle. that tuned or stock? your tune might have the vgt vanes doing something at idle.

04 F250 - 6.UHOH. Studded and Deleted By PSE, Fueled by Warren and Aeromotive, and Tuned by Gearhead.
04 Chebbie Tahoe LT - Stock w/ Nav and Bose
08 Tacoma Work Truck, V8 Power Nothing, A/C and Mud tires
Agjake11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:06 PM   #22
Dieselchick

Dieselchick is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Agjake11 View Post
yea its alot quiter at idle. that tuned or stock? your tune might have the vgt vanes doing something at idle.
Its tuned..no custom tune. SCT SF3. I dont know but i dont like it at all compared to my stock turbo.

2003 F250 6.0 4x4
6" Rough Country Suspension Lift
20" XD Spy Wheels
37x13.50 Nitto Mud Grapplers
SCT SF3 Tuned
Dieselchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:09 PM   #23
Agjake11

Let me send you some files in a sec but you should consider calling Matt at gear head and having him write you a srl with powermax tune

04 F250 - 6.UHOH. Studded and Deleted By PSE, Fueled by Warren and Aeromotive, and Tuned by Gearhead.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:35 PM   #24
06VT365

06VT365 is on a distinguished road

Let me send you some files in a sec but you should consider calling Matt at gear head and having him write you a srl with powermax tune
Matt is the man with the powermax tunes, thats who I was planning on using for mine.

It very well may be that you dont have a custom tune.
Be well worth the money to get a custom one!

Sold
2006 F350 CC LB 4x4
MBRP - SCT X3 Vivian Tuned - Glowshift - Insight CTS - Sinister Coolant Filter -20 x 10 Moto Metal 957's - 295/60/20 Nitto Trail's - Vortex Liner - B&W

2002 F250 CC SB 4x4
International T444E Power
Bullydog 6 position chip
06VT365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:55 PM   #25
Dieselchick

Originally Posted by 06VT365 View Post
Matt is the man with the powermax tunes, thats who I was planning on using for mine.

It very well may be that you dont have a custom tune.
Be well worth the money to get a custom one!
I called Swams about getting a custom tune but they told me it would be pushing the issue with my truck since i didnt do the headstuds.. they said the tune i have now is about an 85HP tune....

2003 F250 6.0 4x4
20" XD Spy Wheels
SCT SF3 Tuned
Old 03-16-2012, 09:23 PM   #26
06VT365

Originally Posted by Dieselchick View Post
I called Swams about getting a custom tune but they told me it would be pushing the issue with my truck since i didnt do the headstuds.. they said the tune i have now is about an 85HP tune....
So your running the canned tunes that come preloaded, is that correct?

My .02 is that I would check into a custom tunes still, you could get a street tune that would probably be more powerful and safer then the canned tunes.

I run Vivians tunes from quick tricks automotive right now. I have a tow tune (50hp) street (85ish) and looney tune (125) most tuners have a studded and non studded tune. I am running the non studded looney right now, cause don't have studs yet either.

It's funny cause the looney tune actually only makes about 22psi but stock I make about 28, but the looney runs like an animal on the top end and shifts at 4100rpm at wide open. amazing what injection timing changes can do for power!!

But with a powermax I would recommend Matt at gear head.

But there is always the chance of stretching bolts!! Gotta pay to play I guess....especially with our trucks!!

Sold
2006 F350 CC LB 4x4
MBRP - SCT X3 Vivian Tuned - Glowshift - Insight CTS - Sinister Coolant Filter -20 x 10 Moto Metal 957's - 295/60/20 Nitto Trail's - Vortex Liner - B&W

2002 F250 CC SB 4x4
Bullydog 6 position chip
Old 03-16-2012, 09:51 PM   #27
Dieselchick

So your running the canned tunes that come preloaded, is that correct?

My .02 is that I would check into a custom tunes still, you could get a street tune that would probably be more powerful and safer then the canned tunes.

I run Vivians tunes from quick tricks automotive right now. I have a tow tune (50hp) street (85ish) and looney tune (125) most tuners have a studded and non studded tune. I am running the non studded looney right now, cause don't have studs yet either.

It's funny cause the looney tune actually only makes about 22psi but stock I make about 28, but the looney runs like an animal on the top end and shifts at 4100rpm at wide open. amazing what injection timing changes can do for power!!

But with a powermax I would recommend Matt at gear head.

But there is always the chance of stretching bolts!! Gotta pay to play I guess....especially with our trucks!!

Yes im on street tune. I should have went ahead and done the heads when i done everything else but i didnt feel like spending more money at that time lol i had spent enough! Eventually i will do the studs but until then i dont want to stretch them or blow a headgasket, so im not sure if i should use a custom tune until i do that. Swamps said the street tune is enough for my truck like it sits before i start tearing stuff up.

2003 F250 6.0 4x4
20" XD Spy Wheels
SCT SF3 Tuned
Old 03-16-2012, 09:55 PM   #28
Agjake11

No need for studs to get a custom tune. Just keep watch over the vitals and you wont lift a head

Old 03-16-2012, 10:43 PM   #29
06VT365

No need for studs to get a custom tune. Just keep watch over the vitals and you wont lift a head
Yep, I am a believer that the majority of headgaskt failures are from egr/oil cooler failures that go unnoticed by not keeping an eye of oil and water temps. Many many bone stock trucks with failures.
Poor maintenance among other things also.

Sediment in the cooling system, flowing through the tiny passages in the egr cooler surrounded by very hot exhaust gasses causes the sediment to solidify, clogging the cooler, cooler ruptures, starts leaking small amounts of coolant into cylinders, coolant turns to vapor, vapor causes extreme cylinder pressures thus stretching bolts.

Not saying that's the only cause, but I believe it to be the cause of many stretched bolts.

Sold
2006 F350 CC LB 4x4

2002 F250 CC SB 4x4
Bullydog 6 position chip
Old 03-16-2012, 11:53 PM   #30
Dieselchick

Yep, I am a believer that the majority of headgaskt failures are from egr/oil cooler failures that go unnoticed by not keeping an eye of oil and water temps. Many many bone stock trucks with failures.
Poor maintenance among other things also.

Sediment in the cooling system, flowing through the tiny passages in the egr cooler surrounded by very hot exhaust gasses causes the sediment to solidify, clogging the cooler, cooler ruptures, starts leaking small amounts of coolant into cylinders, coolant turns to vapor, vapor causes extreme cylinder pressures thus stretching bolts.

Not saying that's the only cause, but I believe it to be the cause of many stretched bolts.
This all is true.. i dont "hot rod" my truck much, i mean its a lifted heavy truck and really has no business going balls to the wall ( unless som idiot comes up and wont leave it alone) i just wanted it to get up and go when i need it (so far it does) it actually out ran a stock height ext cab duramax the other night and kinda shocked me considering the height weight and what not of my truck. The truck runs fine for what i want with it.. i just dont like not having a loud whistle If i can ever sell my car i plan on getting another 6.0 and building it to run like a raped ape!

2003 F250 6.0 4x4
20" XD Spy Wheels
SCT SF3 Tuned