Go Back   Heavy Duty & Diesel Truck Forum > >

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-11-2013, 10:50 AM   #1
VMS

VMS is on a distinguished road
Default The search has begun...but NOOBY here has some questions...

Hi Everyone,

First of all, I just want to say hello as this is my first visit and first post.

It's getting to the point in time where my ride (2003 Ram 1500, 5.7 Hemi at 227,000 miles) is getting closer to its retirement, so I am starting the process of looking for a new truck to strong enough to pull the toys with.

Guaranteed I will be looking at an HD truck (which is why I am here) in either 3/4 ton or 1 ton depending on price, options and capabilities, but here are my questions:

1. I'm not very familiar with diesel power plants(although I do know all makes have good solid dependable engines) and the idea of a DEF exhaust system needing to be refilled had me puzzled.. I think I understand how the system works well enough, but how often does that fluid need replacement or filling? And...what kind of cost would I be looking at? I did notice the 2012 Cummins power plant for Ram does not have that system, but that particular model year has lower towing and payload specs as well... 2013 specs have yet to be released, but the new power plant will have a DEF system on it.

2. I noticed gas prices in town today ($2.85 reg unleaded, $3.83 for Diesel). Given gas tanks are the same size (35 gallons just to throw out a tank size), it would cost me roughly $35 extra to fill a diesel tank. Is the gas mileage of a diesel good enough to offset the extra cost of running unleaded? (I know running E85 is no better than gas...I end up saving money by running unleaded since I didn't have to fill up as often and mileage was better...worked out to be about 4 tanks of e85 to 3 tanks unleaded) I know you can buy a bunch of unleaded for the extra $7 - 8K dropped on a diesel engine, but some deals are good enough now you are not really paying for the engine upgrade...

3. If you have a 2011 or newer Diesel engine on an HD truck (any brand, but please do not disclose that or the engine manufacture..I don't want to start the war as I am looking at all 3 brands) what kind of MPG are you seeing in town and on the road (normal use) and what do you see pulling your toys along with the gear ratio you running? I'd really like to hear from anyone pulling a 5th wheel as well....even better if you are double towing at all as I would like to have that as an option since it is legal to do in the states I normally travel to (I would be under the max length for each state..already checked that).

I know...long winded, but my analytical mind does this to me. Sorry...

And...thanks in advance!!

Steve
VMS is offline   Reply With Quote