Go Back   Heavy Duty & Diesel Truck Forum > >

The Lounge The offtopic section.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:28 PM   #1
westtnfx4

westtnfx4 is on a distinguished road
Default Trayvon Martin shooting. What's your take on it?

What's your thoughts?

http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=16000239
westtnfx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:46 PM   #2
Bdons-SD

Bdons-SD is on a distinguished road

I think there isn't enough info to prove who attacked who first, obviously Zimmerman got messed up too. I mean I get suspicious when I see people walk by my house with their hoods on, but I don't call the police or follow them while Im armed. I think this guy is going to fall through the cracks of the self defense law. It's too vague to really point out what is murder in a case like this.
As for the the racism, it's a bunch of bs fed from the media. The guys not white, it's quite clear he's of Hispanic descent. White or black, you go walkin around a gated community with your hood on looking all thug life you're going to get profiled. They can't prove intent, but since he sustained injury the self defense verdict looks like this is where it's going. Unless they can prove he started the fight and intended to kill this kid I don't think he will be charged. Let the riots commence, I hope Zimmerman changes his name and moves out of state as fast as possible.

2001 f350 Lariat 4x4 7.3, 3.5 inch
leveling kit, 4 inch turbo back straight pipe with black 5 inch turndown tip, 315/75/16 BFG at's, 05 harley heads, gauges, DP tuner 60 economy 80 towing 120 racing, WAAG frontrunner bumper guard....
Bdons-SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:09 PM   #3
01 D_Max

01 D_Max is on a distinguished road

I think Zimmerman was looking for a fight. He was taking His neighborhood watch to an extreme level. He took the authority of a police officer, and that is what put Him in a situation where He needed to defend Himself.

The Kid may have been up to no good, but He wasnt armed, and did not do anything wrong except wear a hoodie, and look suspicious. I understand how uncompfortable Martin must have felt, with a man following Him. How the fight broke out I don't know, but He obviously felt like he was vounerable.

If someone followed me with a gun and I saw it, (which I assume is what happened, He saw the gun) I would jump on His ass snd take the gun before He shot me... Even punching his face in!

Zimmerman had the gun, expecting to use it, especially if he was going to confront Martin. So weather it was self defence or not, I hope Zimmerman gets charged for murder! I agree that the man should have obeyed the orders and not followed the Kid. It was not His place.

If the Jury focuses on the reason He killed Martin they could let Him go on Self Defence. However, If they look ahead of that and focus on the fact that He put Himself in that situation, even disreguarding the direction of a dispatcher, then I believe He will be found guilty of murder. As He should be!

His ignorance is the only reason He had to pull the trigger.

EFI Live/ DSP5 "MAX EFFORT" thanks to Rob Coddens

Built Trans, Bank's Ram Air Intake, Big Head Wastegate, Banks Intercooler, PPE Boost Valve, Ported Intake Horn, Shimmed FPRV, FASS 150 Lift Pump, 40 overs, Optima RedTops,
20" Forged Alluminum WELD's 33's Nitto Trail Grapplers
01 D_Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:33 PM   #4
06VT365

06VT365 is on a distinguished road

I think I wouldn't want to be on the jury!

I think Zimmerman was stupid in following him, the fact is, if he would've listened to the dispatcher and left it to them he wouldn't be looking at murder charges. If trevon had broke into his house, I would say self defense....but he didn't.
Zimmerman followed him willing, he put himself in that position.

I don't think it was racial, I think it was stupidity!

Sold
2006 F350 CC LB 4x4
MBRP - SCT X3 Vivian Tuned - Glowshift - Insight CTS - Sinister Coolant Filter -20 x 10 Moto Metal 957's - 295/60/20 Nitto Trail's - Vortex Liner - B&W

2002 F250 CC SB 4x4
International T444E Power
Bullydog 6 position chip
06VT365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:10 PM   #5
Bdons-SD

The sad thing is people have the right to stupidity. If you listen to the 911 recording, it seems as if he followed the instructions of the 911 dispatcher, you hear zimmerman saying "hes coming toward me blah blah blah" the dispatcher asked "are you following him?" zimmerman says "yes" the dispatcher says "we dont need you to do that" and in the background you hear a car door, an pinging of keys in an ignition. Now, this doesnt prove a damn thing. But it goes along with the time line of the police report that is reported in the article that martin attacked zimmerman after he went back to his car. again, it doesnt prove a damn thing. Then you throw in an eye witness who witnessed a man fitting zimmermans description on the ground before the gun shot, granted its a 13 year old boy but id trust a 13 year old kids word to police over a thugs word but thats just me. But the whole thing ties together. Zimmerman could have lied in his police report, and hopefully theyll find some evidence to prove it.

Whether zimmerman put himself in that position to need to use self defense is irrelevant for it is not against the law. I completely agree its stupid, and unnecessary and he may have been treating his neighborhood watch job more like robocop duty. Unless they can prove that zimmerman attacked travyon and initiated the scuffle than I dont see him being put on trial. its not what they know, its what they can prove. There are going to be a lot of pissed off people if Im right. Ive heard multiple radio discussions, Ive heard the 911 call 3 times, and ive read a few articles. This is just my opinion of the timeline that Ive seen in the media. Im all for putting a murderer away, but im also in favor of the right to bear arms, and the right to use it if in self defense. Since he sustained injury he was obviously defending himself, but was he defending himself in a fight he started? Thats the part I dont know. To me this is a grey area. but Im sure there will be more events added to the story tomorrow as the feds investigate this.

leveling kit, 4 inch turbo back straight pipe with black 5 inch turndown tip, 315/75/16 BFG at's, 05 harley heads, gauges, DP tuner 60 economy 80 towing 120 racing, WAAG frontrunner bumper guard....

Last edited by Bdons-SD; 03-26-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:46 PM   #6
01 D_Max

01 D_Max is on a distinguished road

I will be one of the pissed ones.... Zimmerman went over the line and that got Him into the fight.

To me this is no different than someone trying to look into my windows... I would go outside and say something, and if I saw a gun I would attack! He had the gun expecting to use it, and He was the one that provoked the fight... IMO

EFI Live/ DSP5 "MAX EFFORT" thanks to Rob Coddens

Built Trans, Bank's Ram Air Intake, Big Head Wastegate, Banks Intercooler, PPE Boost Valve, Ported Intake Horn, Shimmed FPRV, FASS 150 Lift Pump, 40 overs, Optima RedTops,
20" Forged Alluminum WELD's 33's Nitto Trail Grapplers
01 D_Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:00 PM   #7
ssgjohnson

ssgjohnson is on a distinguished road

posted this on the FFS forum, thought i would share:

From what I have heard, there are a lot of things that have been polluted or forgotten since the story first broke. keep in mind, im not stating facts but rather what i read in the first days of the story.

Zimmerman was a "self appointed" neighborhood watch, and the community didnt have an official program. Also, i have never heard of armed neighborhood watch. generally its an observe and report type thing.

Zimmerman's race origionally was listed as white, with an update to the story stating that his father had said he was hispanic... that update was no where to be found (on that story at least) a few hours later. as if someone had decided that particular information needed to be forgotten.

The eyewhitness reports of Zimmerman basically getting his a$$ beat WERE reported in the origional news transcripts, but as days went by, those reports became HARDER to find, rather than easier.

Now for some opinion. I believe simply that Zimmerman made a stupid decision. When you are walking around with a firearm in a city environment, especially one with a high crime rate, you lose a certain level of fear or apprehension that would otherwise keep you from putting yourself into a precarious situation. I do not believe that race was what got martin killed, but a combination of decisions and events led up to an unfortunate ending. Zim made the wrong decision to follow, martin made the wrong decision to react aggresively (if you are on top of another man who outweighs you, you are being aggresive). Under the law here in FL, if you reasonably believe that your life, limb, or eyesight is threatened, you can meet that threat with deadly force... i think if i had a big bad dude on top of me beating my brains in for no reason, id be in my rights to shoot him. IF I FOLLOW A KID THAT I OUTWIEGH BY 45 LBS AND IM GETTING LICKED, I SHOULD SHOOT MYSELF!

ssgjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:29 PM   #8
Bdons-SD

Honestly I think its both parties faults. Zimmerman for abusing his "duties", and martin for approaching him (as the 911 recording insinuates). If there is a guy following me Im not going to approach him period. its bad judgement on both parts. Martin should have called the police and reported a suspicious man following him in an SUV. Its a tough call, as ssg said, theres a lot of media contortion on this story, Ill be the first guy to admit my opinion is BS is more evidence pops up.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:33 PM   #9
Bdons-SD

Originally Posted by 01 D_Max View Post
I will be one of the pissed ones.... Zimmerman went over the line and that got Him into the fight.

To me this is no different than someone trying to look into my windows... I would go outside and say something, and if I saw a gun I would attack! He had the gun expecting to use it, and He was the one that provoked the fight... IMO
If there was a guy peering into my windows I wouldnt be going out there in fear he does have a gun. I would go to my night stand, arm myself and call 911. If he attempts to get in and my life is in danger, only at that point would I attack in defense.

Attacking and reacting without thinking out here in WA will have the gun haters on your ass in a lick. You gotta be careful who you shoot in this state

Last edited by Bdons-SD; 03-26-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:42 PM   #10
06VT365

06VT365 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ssgjohnson View Post
IF I FOLLOW A KID THAT I OUTWIEGH BY 45 LBS AND IM GETTING LICKED, I SHOULD SHOOT MYSELF!

It was 2 very bad decisions thats for sure. I don't think zimmerman went out looking to shoot martin. I think he was maybe hoping to scare him off, turned out the kid was more than he could handle, he thought his life was in danger and pulled the trigger.

Either way this shakes down in our great legal system, his decision to follow Martin lead to something he will have to live with the rest of his life weather that's in jail or not. I think it a murder charge will be difficult to get on this one, and may not be correct anyways.

It was just another case of humans making very poor decisions. (both of them that is)

Sold
2006 F350 CC LB 4x4
MBRP - SCT X3 Vivian Tuned - Glowshift - Insight CTS - Sinister Coolant Filter -20 x 10 Moto Metal 957's - 295/60/20 Nitto Trail's - Vortex Liner - B&W

2002 F250 CC SB 4x4
International T444E Power
Bullydog 6 position chip
06VT365 is offline   Reply With Quote