Go Back   Heavy Duty & Diesel Truck Forum > >

Old 03-18-2012, 08:40 AM   #1
westtnfx4

westtnfx4 is on a distinguished road
Default The BIG 3....Ford,Dodge and Chevy. Who makes the best trucks?

Let's keep it friendly here guys. Let's respect everyone's opinion on what truck is on top at the moment. It changes constanly. Some have good years....some not so good. But they are all American trucks amd we love them. So what's your thoughts?
westtnfx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:02 AM   #2
01 D_Max

01 D_Max is on a distinguished road

The Quality GM puts into their trucks interior/exterior and parts is consistently good. They also made a good decision to have the Duramax/Allison combo. And the ride is the most compfortable of any truck for the street.

Dodge really takes pride in putting powerhouse engines in their vechiles. The Cummins is probably the most stout diesel engine out the door from factory, but almost too much for the tranny they combined it with. They sound amazing to me, the closest thing to a big rig. The interior of most or the dodge trucks leave something to be desired. (not including the Longhorn) The top of the line Dodge's are beautiful inside however.

Now Ford has been kinda inconsistent with the Diesel engines, however if I was going to buy a reasonably priced Diesel for work, I would get the 7.3. Their trucks are solid all the way around, and the problem is that you can feel it in the ride. But Ford built a Truck! The drivetrain holds up to almost anything. Although I absolutely hate the way the tranny shifts in the Auto. The interior of most Fords' are not to par of GM, but their top of the line interior is hard to beat.

Having said all this, I would think the perfect truck would be Ford's Frame and Driveline, with a Cummins/Allison Combo.

EFI Live/ DSP5 "MAX EFFORT" thanks to Rob Coddens

Built Trans, Bank's Ram Air Intake, Big Head Wastegate, Banks Intercooler, PPE Boost Valve, Ported Intake Horn, Shimmed FPRV, FASS 150 Lift Pump, 40 overs, Optima RedTops,
20" Forged Alluminum WELD's 33's Nitto Trail Grapplers
01 D_Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:14 AM   #3
westtnfx4

westtnfx4 is on a distinguished road

That combo would be awesome. I feel that the ford F250 is the nicest in and out of all 3 (as of 2012)outside and the interior is just amazing. I say in the interior section dodge and Chevy are neck and neck. I've never been a big fan of a Chevy interior but as of late they stepped there game up. The new 6.7 looks promising. They all have there pros and cons I guess. If I went and bought a new truck it would be a tough choice for sure

Here is a pic of the new Dodge interior and I have to say its hawt

westtnfx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:34 PM   #4
Bdons-SD

Bdons-SD is on a distinguished road

That is a pretty sexy interior. I think dodge really stepped up their game with the 2012 body on the big trucks. they look beastly with some lift and tires. I cant get over how goofy the chevys front end looks, looks all stretched out. Just my opinion. But the interior makes up for it. Im not a big fan of the 09-10 PSD, but the 11+ is sex, along with the interior. Im kind of bummed that they havent really remodeled the truck, meaning from the frame up new, its just had upgrades. Its good for me though because some trim parts that are cool fit my 11 year old truck ha ha.

2001 f350 Lariat 4x4 7.3, 3.5 inch
leveling kit, 4 inch turbo back straight pipe with black 5 inch turndown tip, 315/75/16 BFG at's, 05 harley heads, gauges, DP tuner 60 economy 80 towing 120 racing, WAAG frontrunner bumper guard....

Last edited by Bdons-SD; 03-18-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Bdons-SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:45 PM   #5
schroederMP

schroederMP is on a distinguished road

I'm biased because I love my Dodge....but all off the big three have there pro's an con's. I think they are all a great truck. They are working, pulling machines. I'd drive all 3...but would only buy a Dodge.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:42 PM   #6
Bigbluediesel08

Bigbluediesel08 is on a distinguished road

IMO, ford has the best truck out there. They are built to work. Yes they have had their share of problems with the diesel engines, but the 6.0 once you bullet proof it, you have a nice a reliable engine.. The 6.4 is a monster, very stout engine and can handle alot of abuse once you delete all the emissions crap.. Tranny can handle lots of power before needing an upgrade..
I like the new rams especially the longhorn edition.. Chevys are nice, but not a really big fan of them.

Last edited by Bigbluediesel08; 03-18-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Bigbluediesel08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:40 PM   #7
01 D_Max

01 D_Max is on a distinguished road

Have the Fords changed their Auto Tranny from the 7.3 years? I hate the damn shift points of that thing. But I do hear they are built stout!

EFI Live/ DSP5 "MAX EFFORT" thanks to Rob Coddens

Built Trans, Bank's Ram Air Intake, Big Head Wastegate, Banks Intercooler, PPE Boost Valve, Ported Intake Horn, Shimmed FPRV, FASS 150 Lift Pump, 40 overs, Optima RedTops,
20" Forged Alluminum WELD's 33's Nitto Trail Grapplers
01 D_Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:57 PM   #8
Stroked68

Stroked68 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Stroked68

You always hear the bad things about a truck more than anything. Im biased as hell cause I bleed blue through and through, even have a Ford tat BUT all that aside....

Im very impressed with Dodge. They have really stepped it up. Their trucks are sweet lookin. Our local Dodge dealer had a booth at walmart when we had our bike dealership booth there and got to see their new trucks and man that big horn interior was sweet. Saddle leather and sweet dash. I assume it was the big horn? I like the new front ends, looks tough and fast at the same time. I'd buy a Dodge after a Ford for sure.

GM has one of the best engine/tranny out there. Not a fan of their looks though. IFS shouldnt be in a truck. A friend of ours has a dmax, like an 08 or somethin and hes been through rear ends and front ends on his but he does have alot of bolt ons and that thing is a screamer. Crazy fast and quick for a 3/4 ton monster!

Ford has had lots of issues with their motors. When I was lookin for a diesel, i wasnt gonna get a 6.0. Didnt want to chance it. I settled for the good ole reliable 7.3. Hard to find a low mileage 7.3 and they are highly sought after. 6.0's are monsters stock but can be even better with the upgrades they need to make them bullet proof. 6.4's get crappy mileage but heard good things about them. Dont know much about the new 6.7's. Seems to make great power. Agreed the perfect truck would be a cummins powered Ford with an allison. Almost thought about puttin a cummins in mine BUT you just cant kill these 7.3's. Maybe if mine blew up I would but dont see that happenin anytime soon.

1996 Cobra
1984 Ford E250 Quadravan 4x4 460 "The Tank"
1977 F250 Highboy 351m
1968 Mercury Cougar XR7 HiPo 289 "Mean Merc"
1958 Ford Panel Truck 4x4 "Grave Digger II"
2010 Kawasaki KLX250s My gas sipper
Stroked68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:46 PM   #9
ideezy5

ideezy5 is on a distinguished road

same platform since 01. That says enough

Just my opinion

03 Silverado 2500 ccsb lb7
90k miles
Efi live- BOBO/COTNP
4" stainless magnaflow
Leveled w/ 285's
Edge cs insight

Last edited by ideezy5; 03-18-2012 at 10:50 PM.
ideezy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:11 PM   #10
06VT365

06VT365 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 01 D_Max View Post
Have the Fords changed their Auto Tranny from the 7.3 years? I hate the damn shift points of that thing. But I do hear they are built stout!
Yes, changed with the 6.0 in mid 03. And the 5r100 tourqeshift trannies are pretty stout units also.

my trucks are used for work so for me it would be a studded and deleted 6.0 (flame suit on ) , with 08-current gm interior quality and steering/handling of gen 3 -current dodges. I stick with 6.0 cause it's a beast when done up right, and I just don't see myself in a fummins conversion.

Stock vs stock I would say the best is a 99-early03 Superduty 7.3...great engine, great chassis, and decent trans. throw in a zf6 speed and it da bomb.

Really depend on what you do with your truck to me.
If horsepower is main goal it would be a dodge...can't beat the cummins for value and performance -although the duramax with tuning is pretty potent too!
Work truck...all ford all the way
Family truck and weekend warrior....gm for it interior and ride quality.

But with the new trucks....it's honestly getting to be a toss up I think...whatever you prefer cause they are all getting very equal I feel.

Sold
2006 F350 CC LB 4x4
MBRP - SCT X3 Vivian Tuned - Glowshift - Insight CTS - Sinister Coolant Filter -20 x 10 Moto Metal 957's - 295/60/20 Nitto Trail's - Vortex Liner - B&W

2002 F250 CC SB 4x4
International T444E Power
Bullydog 6 position chip
06VT365 is offline   Reply With Quote