Thread: Project 6.BLOW
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2012, 06:16 PM   #28
westtnfx4

westtnfx4 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 06VT365 View Post
Yeah, because dropping in a 5.9 cummins isn't expensive and time consuming at all!

And then you still might crack a block, stretch a head bolt or blow a gasket when you put power to it....just ask my buddies with thier 5.9's! ....just sayin....people always wanna say the 5.9 is the cure all when in reality, it's just another mechanical engine.

The 6.0 is one of the most misunderstood engines out there. It got a really bad rap in the begining that it just couldn't overcome, when honestly, if you wanted to make it an extremely reliable engine it isn't all that expensive nor all that difficult.

EGR Delete $200
ARP's $450
Gaskets $250
Coolant Flush to ELC and Coolant Filter - $300ish

That alone would give you a very reliable engine for many many miles. Add about $1,800 for labor if you don't wanna mess with it yourself and you have a great motor for a little over $3grand. Then you have the left over $7 grand you saved from not doing a cummins conversion to add power in whatever from you want.
Cool your jets top gun The 5.9 diesel is one of the best ever made. Just like the 7.3 is. I am a Ford / International man. But you must admit they dropped the ball after the 7.3 and thus fords decision to go in house to build there own diesel. 6.0 in stock form is possibly the worst diesel made along wit the 6.9 old school Chevy diesel.

With that said I would deffinatly have a 6.0 if it was headed,studded, and deleted. At the time I was looking to get back into a diesel from my 1/2 Ton F150 super crew 4x4 I almost traded for a sweet 06 F250 crew cab lifted. I wanted it but we just couldn't get together on it. It had all the right engine work. Paper work to prove it.

Then I got the offer on my current truck. Met with him and drove it and fell in love. It's hard to explain untill you own a modded 5.9 CTD. It has a lighter feel (it is lighter and has 40% less moving parts) and is freaking fast. It sounds amazing with the 5" MBRP exhaust. It will now be hard for me to go back. I'm not saying I won't but it would have to be something amazing for me to switch. I do love a F250 tho. They are my first love
westtnfx4 is offline   Reply With Quote