View Single Post
Old 03-19-2012, 07:10 PM   #6
ssgjohnson

ssgjohnson is on a distinguished road

I agree with the both of you. I really hate spanking the kids. We tried the whole time-outs thing and to be honest, it just doesnt work. Its not really what we do but how we do it that is important. We dont use our hands, we use a paddle. the reason for this is because if we have to go to the other room or downstairs to get the paddle, then all the way back to the individual to be disciplined, there is little chance that we are still going to be angry by the time the actual spanking is issued. It also teaches the kids to not necessarily fear the parent, but instead the object.

I always explain exactly why the spanking is occuring, and what can be done to avoid it next time. I tell them that i dont like to do it and that i love them very much (like your pops did Dmax). I also believe that consistency is important. if you are going to spank for a certain offense, you have to do it every time. if you arent consistent, then i believe they start to believe there is a chance the punishment will be less severe or not happen at all.

my kids and i share a really good, strong and loving relationship. my kids come to me with problems and are surprisingly honest with me, even if its confessing to a crime. we can play fight all day long and there is no issues. My eldest got spanked until she was about five, but after that, she learned to simply behave. she rarely does ANYTHING wrong and is a huge help around the house. in the rare occasion that she does get into trouble, i dont have to spank her because just knowing that she dissapointed us is enough recourse.

That being said, i was abused pretty badly and treated like crap by my stepdad. he didnt believe in spanking, he believed causing injury. the first time he punched me like a man, i was 7. I ALWAYS said i would never spank...until i had kids. BUT having been through that growing up has taught me the effects of what we do as parents. This subject is something i care alot about, but im not so opinionated that i would ever judge another person's parenting (unless its down-right abuse). my biggest problem is when people try to tell me im wrong if i dont lay down and let the kids run me over.

sorry, im bored and can type stupid fast.

ssgjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote