View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 01:31 PM   #2
Bdons-SD

Bdons-SD is on a distinguished road

Diesel is worth it if youre towing. My 7.3 a little older, but I find it got slightly fuel mileage than my f150 before I threw on the tuner and upgrades, now its MUCH better. But it does get much better mileage than its v10 counterpart by far when it was stock. Just the added torque from the diesel makes towing with it much easier. I tow equipment with mine, and I couldnt imagine having a gasser with what I do. Plus the life span of a diesel is double that of a gas motor, on average ha ha. a lot of gas motors go to 250 without a problem, but the diesels are known for going over 300k without any major rebuilds or problems. Transmissions are a diffrent story but I am unfamiliar with the newer transmissions. My dad bought a 2002 7.3 f250 new in early 2003, it currently has 191k without any major repairs, just the usual brakes, ball joints, alternator, starter etc... my 01 f350 has 127k and its in the tranny shop right now ha ha, but no other issues so far.

I heard the DEF systems need to be refilled about every 5k miles, and the trucks will go into limp mode if it runs dry, I also read up on the ford DEF fluid costing about as much as an oilchange. but Im sure there are cheaper brands out there by now. There are also tuners for the trucks that can override the DEF systems, There are also EGR deletes out there to get rid of all the pain in the butt emissions crap. Im sure someone with a newer truck will chime in. mines an 01 so Im only going off what I have read about the ford 6.7.

2001 f350 Lariat 4x4 7.3, 3.5 inch
leveling kit, 4 inch turbo back straight pipe with black 5 inch turndown tip, 315/75/16 BFG at's, 05 harley heads, gauges, DP tuner 60 economy 80 towing 120 racing, WAAG frontrunner bumper guard....
Bdons-SD is offline   Reply With Quote