Heavy Duty & Diesel Truck Forum

Heavy Duty & Diesel Truck Forum (http://www.hdtruckforum.com/index.php)
-   General Truck Discussions For All trucks (http://www.hdtruckforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   The BIG 3....Ford,Dodge and Chevy. Who makes the best trucks? (http://www.hdtruckforum.com/showthread.php?t=89)

Bdons-SD 03-18-2012 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01 D_Max (Post 1397)
Have the Fords changed their Auto Tranny from the 7.3 years? I hate the damn shift points of that thing. But I do hear they are built stout!

Dont know where you heard that ha ha. the 7.3 tranny is the weak link on the whole truck. I hear anything after 120k is a gift, if you make it to 200 without it going out go buy a lotto ticket ha ha. Ive got 118k... Ill let you know in a few months :jester: My dads has 180k and hes been pretty lucky so far. But ive heard stories of them going out at 60k.

06VT365 03-19-2012 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bdons-SD (Post 1422)
Dont know where you heard that ha ha. the 7.3 tranny is the weak link on the whole truck. I hear anything after 120k is a gift, if you make it to 200 without it going out go buy a lotto ticket ha ha. Ive got 118k... Ill let you know in a few months :jester: My dads has 180k and hes been pretty lucky so far. But ive heard stories of them going out at 60k.

My 02 has 134k miles in it. Has had a bullydog 6 position chip on it since 54k miles, and tows all the time, still shifts like a top. Now pre 99 e4od's thats a different story....they are seriously weak!

Maybe I just got lucky! Cause I do have a friend with an 03 that has had several trans issues. Luck of the draw.....kinda like my good 6.0! Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket now that ya mention it!:chewie:

ssgjohnson 03-19-2012 12:13 AM

fordcummins.com

06VT365 03-19-2012 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ideezy5 (Post 1413)
:boti: same platform since 01. That says enough :gm:
:pokeowned:

Just my opinion :D

Even with the frames that crack?......i guess they dont learn:33:

tdrive0001 03-19-2012 12:20 AM

I got a full page story y'all need to read... if I can scan it to my computer, ill load it. It will shed A LOT of light on this subject...

ideezy5 03-19-2012 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 06VT365 (Post 1431)
Even with the frames that crack?......i guess they dont learn:33:

:whymewhyme: I understand. I was a loyal ford guy once with a 6.0. Youll wake up one day lol

06VT365 03-19-2012 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ideezy5 (Post 1433)
:whymewhyme: I understand. I was a loyal ford guy once with a 6.0. Youll wake up one day lol

I almost fell off the wagon about a year ago, I REALLY like the 08-current Sierra styling, Silverado exterior just doesnt grab me, but the Sierra with a an aftermarket wheel, slightly bigger tire and fender flares gets my attention Quick!!!

Anyways, I was im love with one here....looks wise, 08 sierra 2500 with 30k miles, thought for sure I was gunna trade for it, dealer is a friend and he let me take it for the weekend. After hitching up and towing with it I took it back dissapointed. Power was decent, but not what I expected, and it just didnt seem as "stable" towing as either of my superduty's.
But it definitly set the standard in ride quality and interior.

If I ever change carrers and dont have to tow 90% of time I would definitly consider one.
But for my current situation superduty is the only choice for me.

Stroked68 03-19-2012 01:34 PM

I think mine is the original. I have the service records for it from Ford and didnt see a tranny replacement in there. If it is the original I need a lotto ticket! haha.

ideezy5 03-19-2012 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 06VT365 (Post 1444)
I almost fell off the wagon about a year ago, I REALLY like the 08-current Sierra styling, Silverado exterior just doesnt grab me, but the Sierra with a an aftermarket wheel, slightly bigger tire and fender flares gets my attention Quick!!!

Anyways, I was im love with one here....looks wise, 08 sierra 2500 with 30k miles, thought for sure I was gunna trade for it, dealer is a friend and he let me take it for the weekend. After hitching up and towing with it I took it back dissapointed. Power was decent, but not what I expected, and it just didnt seem as "stable" towing as either of my superduty's.
But it definitly set the standard in ride quality and interior.

If I ever change carrers and dont have to tow 90% of time I would definitly consider one.
But for my current situation superduty is the only choice for me.

Haha yea I did fall off the wagon. But it's worked out pretty well. I love my truck and I really liked my fords too

westtnfx4 03-19-2012 07:31 PM

My father in law has 226,000 on his 03 crew cab 4x4 7.3 PSD and it has never missed a lick. It's one of the stronger 7.3's I've drove also. It's just a straight piped and hypertec programmer. It's knocking down 22 mpg's on the hwy as well.