Heavy Duty & Diesel Truck Forum

Heavy Duty & Diesel Truck Forum (http://www.hdtruckforum.com/index.php)
-   Ford Truck General Forum (http://www.hdtruckforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Ford 6.0l and 6.4l (http://www.hdtruckforum.com/showthread.php?t=787)

bulldog95 02-28-2015 10:17 PM

Ford 6.0l and 6.4l

I was looking at trucks with the 6.0 and 6.4 and was wondering if they are as bad as they say. Are they easy to make reliable or just stay away from them?

dietz4ibanez 02-28-2015 10:44 PM

I personally think that the 6.4 would be the way to go but there are ways of making that 6.0 bullet proof while adding to the performance of the truck.

Mixedbreed 03-02-2015 01:40 PM

they both have pro's and con's but being a 6.0 owner that has sat at 540-560 Hp for 2 years I will say the 6.0 is not as problematic as the internet has led us to believe.
You do have more power with basic mods on a 6.4 but you still have other things to worry about. The fuel system can be a pain and take out the whole system if the pump fails, they make tons of power but then you end up smoking the tranny, but either engine will do that. If you just looking for a good diesel truck that you are not going to mod, either one is great.
For towing, the 6.4 makes more Tq and has better control of EGT’s with the factory compound turbo set up. I have towed 12K at 85 with no problems with my 6.0 however. And I have too big of injectors for my turbo at 7400 feet of elevation, but with good tuning I avoided any problems.
If you’re wanting pure power to brag about, the 6.4 is the winner. If you want to get a decent truck that you can buy for much less than a 6.4 yet use that savings to build decent power and have a solid truck, the 6.0 is a good choice. I went the 6.0 route because I liked the look and the price.

I will try to help you out with complete honesty, as I want a happy owner and not someone with the thought of "what if" after the purchase. I love my truck but I know everyone has thier own needs and wants.

dietz4ibanez 03-04-2015 09:12 PM

:signs75:

I could not have worded it better, myself!

bulldog95 03-04-2015 09:55 PM

Thanks a lot. Everybody I talk to say stay away from the 6.0l and 6.4l that they are terrible unless you invest a lot of money. So if you keep them stock they are pretty reliable then? Do you suggest doing anything as a tuner to watch the temps and how the engine is working? Also do you recommend a dpf delete or egr delete or anything else to them?

dietz4ibanez 03-07-2015 11:42 AM

I personally would be tuning my truck and I would be deleting the emissions/dpf!

A little extra HP is nice!

Mixedbreed 03-09-2015 12:49 PM

this is not a brand bash, i honestly like all of them, so please no reading into this more than that.

Cost is relative honestly. Any truck you buy and make more than a DD/stock HP type truck will cost money.

I know that I would go CR fuel if I buy another truck.

in the past I know that the duramax/alli combo was held to about 450-500 hp due to the alli and it overly smart computer that goes limp when it sees more than a few % slip. It never seems to act right after, and there were turbo/engine issues with each iteration of the 6.6. There is the weak tie-rod setup that plagued the IFS, but with money, you can have a bad ass GM.

Dodge/Cummins trucks have the rep for the worst front ends and a Trans that gives up quickly. Now let’s talk about that front main seal that that Cummins just happens to have a repair designed for. A great engine with a flaw. Again with money you can have a great Chrysler product.

Fords 6.0's and the head studs... yes it’s a ridiculous design but it was a gen set engine that ford decided would be a good engine to throw emissions on and make a light duty diesel out of. It is a flawless generator engine but not great when set up for OTR work. After you spend money (EGR delete, Oil Cooler update if you dont change to red coolant), it’s a great engine for the truck...

plus just about every hot rod diesel buddy that i know, (dodge/chevy/ford) has studded their truck. it is just smart.

So see, money is relative. It just depends on what your willing to spend it on... But it will be spent LOL