Heavy Duty & Diesel Truck Forum

Heavy Duty & Diesel Truck Forum (http://www.hdtruckforum.com/index.php)
-   Ford Truck General Forum (http://www.hdtruckforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   6.0 Ford reliability (http://www.hdtruckforum.com/showthread.php?t=796)

bulldog95 03-19-2015 04:09 PM

6.0 Ford reliability

I was thinking about purchasing a 6.0 truck and was wondering how reliable they are if you keep them stock, or is better to do some upgrades. What would you recommend and costs. What kind of fuel mileage would I expect to get. It would be used as possible daily driver and pulling camper in the future. Is there years that are better than others? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mixedbreed 03-25-2015 09:35 AM

stock i got 18-20 mpg in a CCLB 4WD.

They are reliable if you treat them right and keep the maintenance up.

I like 05 and up with the coil spring front end (narrower turning radius is the biggest plus) and newer sheet metal (mainly the grill/headlights) but they are all the same from the cab back besides interior.

The engine is best if deleted and left alone. If you put go fast parts to it, you have to do the right thing and upgrade a few parts to match the go fast.

bulldog95 03-26-2015 08:17 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Do you have a programmer or anything to watch how your truck is running?

Mixedbreed 03-29-2015 03:30 PM

Yes I have a SCT livewire. I would get a Edge insight just for the gauges. If I didn't need something to flash a program on the ECM.

Engine oil temp, engine coolant temp, voltage, FICM voltage, trans temp, boost are a few that I monitor. Well I don't do FICM but a lot of guys do.

Shaggy 03-31-2015 02:11 AM

I'm in the same boat. I have been pondering on getting a 2004-2005 6.0 Excursion. I need to to alot of research on each on I want to look at as I don't feel like paying an extra $4k - $5k to "bulletproof" that motor if I don't have to.

Mixedbreed 04-01-2015 09:11 AM

Hard to pull the cab on an EX. Lol.

dietz4ibanez 04-13-2015 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaggy (Post 6872)
I'm in the same boat. I have been pondering on getting a 2004-2005 6.0 Excursion. I need to to alot of research on each on I want to look at as I don't feel like paying an extra $4k - $5k to "bulletproof" that motor if I don't have to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mixedbreed (Post 6873)
Hard to pull the cab on an EX. Lol.

Yeah, that could be fun...

I would think the better option there would be a 2500 Suburban with the 6.0 gas. It would match up in performance to the 6.0 Powerstroke and I would imagine they would be about the same on fuel consumption.

If you were willing to put money into bullet proofing and tuning the powerstroke, then the Diesel Excursion would be the way to go.

allroadwheel 04-05-2017 07:51 AM

This is exactly what I was looking for