Heavy Duty & Diesel Truck Forum

Heavy Duty & Diesel Truck Forum (http://www.hdtruckforum.com/index.php)
-   Ford Truck General Forum (http://www.hdtruckforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   new to the 7.3 (http://www.hdtruckforum.com/showthread.php?t=328)

SUPERxDUTYxV10 08-21-2012 04:55 PM

new to the 7.3

ill be picking one up soon actually by the end of the year.

what should i be looking for mileage wise(not MPG), work done to the motor and what are the main problems the 7.3 has??

UTAHFORD 08-21-2012 06:49 PM

Around 200k-250k is normal I found mostly you'll find exhaust and cold air done occasionaly chipped oh and granny rebuild around 120k miles. Major things check the feel of the tranny, also make sure it rims good, steers good some of them have steering problems

Bdons-SD 08-21-2012 07:33 PM

^^ everything this guy said, and brakes. These things are notorious for having calipers freeze up.

UTAHFORD 08-21-2012 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bdons-SD (Post 5661)
^^ everything this guy said, and brakes. These things are notorious for having calipers freeze up.

What happens when your caliper freezes up? Explain......lol

Bdons-SD 08-22-2012 12:14 AM

It usually starts on the passenger rear, something about it being farthest away from the master cylinder... I dont know, but it works its way around ha ha. The pistons inside the brake calipers seize, this sticks the calipers closed and effs up your rotors/pads if you keep driving. luckily on the front you can feel it constantly pull left or right. its tougher to notice on the rear. If it stays stuck itll heat up the rotors and warp them, all while eating up your pads.

It started with my passenger rear, then to my driver front, and finally my passenger front. So far in the 1.5 years of owning my SD Ive done pads and rotors all around, 1 caliper bracket (seized slider pin) and the 3 calipers. just over a grand in parts. though I did upgrade to all EBC high performance stuff meant for heavy towing, so it would probably have been a little less if I went OEM. The same thing happened on my dads 02 PSD, hes done 2 calipers in the last year. mine has 12*,*** and his has almost 190k.

CumminsSwag 08-22-2012 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bdons-SD (Post 5673)
It usually starts on the passenger rear, something about it being farthest away from the master cylinder... I dont know, but it works its way around ha ha. The pistons inside the brake calipers seize, this sticks the calipers closed and effs up your rotors/pads if you keep driving. luckily on the front you can feel it constantly pull left or right. its tougher to notice on the rear. If it stays stuck itll heat up the rotors and warp them, all while eating up your pads.

It started with my passenger rear, then to my driver front, and finally my passenger front. So far in the 1.5 years of owning my SD Ive done pads and rotors all around, 1 caliper bracket (seized slider pin) and the 3 calipers. just over a grand in parts. though I did upgrade to all EBC high performance stuff meant for heavy towing, so it would probably have been a little less if I went OEM. The same thing happened on my dads 02 PSD, hes done 2 calipers in the last year. mine has 12*,*** and his has almost 190k.

Had that happen on our work truck once and left us stranded. The only auto store around we called insisted they had the ones we needed for a F-250 and we asked multiple times, well they were for a F-150 haha figures. Nothing worse than a long day of work and not being able to go home...:mfr_closed1:

But in regards to what to look for I'd look for the bone stock trucks. Look at it this way, if yours gets modded are you going to drive like a granny? Nope, neither did the person who modded theirs and is now selling it.

Bdons-SD 08-22-2012 05:21 PM

^^^ wise move.

Big'un 08-22-2012 07:34 PM

tranny will shift hard